Jackson-George Regional Library System
Meeting Room/Conference Room Use Policy
Each library in JGRLS has a meeting room for library programs and events. It is the intent of JGRLS to make these facilities available to the public on an equitable basis in a manner which prohibits any one group or organization from dominating the use of these facilities. All meetings must be open to the public. The use of the meeting room by anyone does not constitute endorsement of either subject matter or agenda by the library staff or Board of Trustees. All activities held in the library meeting room or conference room must comply with the Library’s Rules of Conduct posted in the meeting room.
The rooms may be used for gatherings of a non-profit, civic, cultural, informational or educational nature, or an entity of the local, state, or federal government.
Programs not in keeping with the library’s mission, goals and objectives, or which would interfere with the library’s operation, e.g. excessive noises, safety hazards, security risks, are not permitted. The following uses are also prohibited: parties, showers, reunions, or weddings. Use by a commercial or for profit entity is prohibited by State Law. This includes, but is not limited to: company meetings, sales meetings, employee recruiting, promotion of products or services and staff training of a for-profit entity. Occasionally, library staff may partner with a specialist, professional, or business owner to present information in a library-sponsored program.
Fees and Charges
With the exception of the Library and Friends of the Library, individuals or groups may not charge a fee for attendance, take up a collection or donation, or market or sell goods or services. A non-profit group may charge for the cost of materials used, food items, and/or membership dues with prior written permission from the Branch Manager.
Priority for scheduling the meeting rooms will be as follows:
Library and library-sponsored groups and programs will always take precedence over community meetings;
- Library staff educational training programs and meetings;
- Community oriented groups;
- Small groups or individual study.
- Meeting rooms are available during the library’s regular operating hours.
- Meeting rooms are available at library opening and must be vacated fifteen (15) minutes before closing.
- User must check in and out at Circulation Desk before and after using the room.
- Reservations for the coming year can be taken no earlier than the first working day of November before the following year. Meeting rooms can be reserved for single events or for events covering the span of one calendar year
- Applications are available at the public service desk. Completed applications must be submitted to the Branch Manager before the scheduled meeting time
- Reservations will be accepted in the order in which they are received, based on availability. No group can reserve the meeting room more than once per week without special permission from the Branch Manager.
- Each individual or group representative wishing to reserve meeting space must possess a valid Adult status JGRLS library card. That person must complete and sign the application forms and see that all policies are followed. This person will be responsible for damages, and must adhere to the conditions set forth in these policies.
- Groups of students 16 years-old or younger must be accompanied by an adult who will submit the application and assume all responsibility for meeting room use.
- If a group decides to cancel use of the meeting room, the authorized representative of the group must contact the Library as soon as possible. Repeated cancellations or no shows may result in denial of future reservations made by that group.
- Requests that are denied by the Library Manager may be forwarded to the Library Director for reconsideration. These requests should be addressed to: Library Director, Jackson-George Regional Library System, 3214 Pascagoula Street, Pascagoula, MS, 39567. If the applicant is still dissatisfied with the ruling, a request for reconsideration can be sent to the JGRLS Board of Trustees at the above address. Action taken by the Board of Trustees is final.
Room Setup and Cleanup
- The applicant will be responsible for discipline and reasonable care of the meeting room and all furnishings. The applicant will be financially responsible for any damage to the facilities, equipment, contents or for the theft of Library equipment or furnishings.
- Groups are responsible for arranging the meeting room as needed and returning tables and chairs to the designated storage area.
- The meeting room and kitchen area must be thoroughly cleaned by the group before departing.
- The Library will not be responsible for, nor provide storage for, the property of groups.
- Nothing can be taped, stapled, or affixed in any way to the walls, doors, ceiling, cabinets or furnishings in or outside the meeting room.
- Neither the JGRLS Board of Trustees nor library staff assumes liability or responsibility for individuals or groups while in the meeting room.
- Limited library equipment may be checked out through advanced arrangement. It is the organizer’s responsibility to ask for training or help with connections if needed.
- Requests for the use of library-owned equipment must be made at the time of application.
- Library equipment must not be damaged or altered in any way.
- Changes in requirements can be requested no later than 48 hours prior to the meeting and are subject to availability of the equipment.
Library’s Right to Deny or Cancel Use
- Library personnel reserve the right to monitor any activities and/or meetings without prior notice. Locking the room door or covering windows is prohibited and may result in the revocation of room privileges for the group.
- Meetings which would interfere with the work of the Library due to noise and/or security concerns are not permitted.
- The Library retains the right to cancel a reservation for Library purposes or in case of a physical plant or weather-related emergency. If a reservation is canceled, the Library will notify the group holding the reservation at least forty-eight (48) hours in advance or as soon as possible in the case of an emergency. The Library reserves the right to interrupt any meeting taking place in the meeting room in case of severe weather or other emergency situations.
- The library reserves the right to enforce fire codes and all applicable local and state laws.
- If groups or individuals are found to be in violation of any of these meeting room policies, the Library retains the right to cancel subsequent use of the meeting room facilities by that group, organization or individual.
Any printed publicity shall include the statement: “This program is not sponsored by the Jackson-George Regional Library System.” Applicant shall not use the JGRLS logo in connection with publicity. Participants may not use the library’s address or phone number for registration.
Conference and Study Room Use
Some JGRLS branches have conference and study rooms available for use. These facilities are available to approved groups per the Jackson George Regional Library Meeting Room policy. In addition to the above policy, the following applies to the use of these rooms.
- Doors to conference facilities may be closed but NOT LOCKED
- Reservations may be made for groups of 2 or more on a first come first serve basis.
- Rooms may be booked for a 2 hour block of time. The Branch Manager has discretion to provide longer time periods.
While the Library may not be used as classrooms or office spaces, the Library may be used as a safe and quiet workspace for students to receive instruction from tutors. Study rooms are available at most branches for use on a first-come, first-used basis. In branches without study rooms, meeting or conference room will be available on a first-come, first served basis. Study rooms, meeting rooms, and conference rooms cannot be reserved for usage by tutors and must remain open to the public. Tutors who are not able to use a meeting room or study room may use other public areas of the library for tutoring purposes.
Draft – LBarnes, AStewart, YParton, LHamburg, CMorgan, April 2017