Please read job postings for all listed openings below:
PASCAGOULA PUBLIC LIBRARY - Librarian III MLIS (Scroll down)
LIBRARY PAGE: Three Open Positions - Adobe PDF application
Locations: East Central Public Library, Gautier Public Library and Ocean Springs Municipal Library
Available: May 1, 2022
Wages: Minimum Wage: $7.25/hour
WORK HOURS: Up to 16 hour/week; including evenings and Saturdays
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: IF YOU DO NOT MEET ALL OF THESE QUALIFICATIONS, PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THE POSITION.
• Must be 18 years old or older with high school diploma or GED.
• Must have dependable transportation to and from work and be able to report to work and continue to work as scheduled.
• Must be able to follow instructions and work cooperatively with other staff members
• Must be able to work mornings, evenings, and Saturday as scheduled
• Must be able to work up to 18 hours per week.
• Must have good communication skills, both orally and written
• Must have good public service skills
• Must have good computer skills, and have the ability to learn new computer applications
• Must be able to pay attention to details and perform duties accurately and in a timely manner.
• The person holding this position must be physically capable of standing for long periods, have the ability to hear, bend, stoop, push, pull, squat, crouch, reach above shoulder level, and lift and move objects up to 25 pounds
• Must attend training sessions as assigned.
• Must adhere to all JGRLS personnel policies and procedures. (Personnel manual will be provided.)
• Candidates that have a JGRLS library card.
• Candidates with previous work experience involving providing goods or services to the public.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Shelving library materials (books, DVDs, CDs, etc.)
• Keep library materials in order; learn how to use the Dewey Decimal System and other organizational and filing systems in use.
• Clean and mend returned materials
• Assist in preparing new materials for check out
• Assist with special programs; registration, preparing handouts and programs, decorating, set up room, break down and clean up room, help manage crowds, lead children or other participants to designated area or room, greet participants as they arrive, etc.
• Backup at circulation as needed: Check in materials, check out materials, take patron registrations, answer telephone, call patrons to alert them that requested materials have arrived, take patrons to needed resources within the library, etc.
• Miscellaneous other duties as needed.
Mandatory skill & knowledge tests will be given by appointment at the Pascagoula Public Library.
The employee holding this position is subject to an initial six-month probationary period with performance evaluations conducted by the Manager periodically during this period. Thereafter, performance evaluations are conducted annually, or as needed, by the Branch Manager and reviewed by the Director. An internal transfer to this position is subject to a three-month probationary period.
The primary work site for this position is the East Central Public Library located at 21801 Slider Road, Moss Point, MS 39562. Performance of duties may require work at other library sites, contingent on the needs of the Library System. Work schedule may include day, evening and Saturday shifts. Schedule may vary from time-to-time in accordance with specific needs and interests of the Library and the Library System as determined by the Branch Manager and/or the Director.
External Candidates: Applications can be picked up at any Jackson-George Regional Library branch or on JGRLS website: www.jgrls.org/services/employment. Applications can be dropped off at any JGRLS branch or mailed to Pascagoula Public Library, Attn: Angela Stewart, Director, 3214 Pascagoula Street, Pascagoula, MS 39567. Please include your resume.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Jackson-George Regional Library System
Position: Librarian III – Branch Manager
Location: Pascagoula Public Library
Available: June 1, 2022
WORK HOURS: 37.5 hour work week; normal work schedule may include day, evening and Friday/Saturday hours.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Starting Salary Range - $50,000 - $56,000
The branch manager will be responsible for the management, supervision and development of the Pascagoula Public Library. The branch manager reports to the director and works closely with other administrative staff. Approximately eleven people report directly to the branch manager including Library Assistants, Library Clerks and Library Page positions.
The employee holding this position will, through open and continuous channels of communication with subordinates, colleagues, and superiors, complete all tasks necessary for the efficient and effective operation of the Pascagoula Public Library and the youth department. Employees in this job classification are expected to possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to complete all assigned tasks in an efficient, accurate and timely manner.
This is a professional librarian position at the upper management level involving the application of professional knowledge and interpersonal and management skills and abilities. Work is performed in accordance with Regional Library Board of Trustees approved policies and procedures and other directives as issued by JGRLS Regional Board of Trustees, Director, Assistant Directors and Library Administration.
Candidates for this position must complete an application for employment and provide an official copy of graduate school transcript. Reference checks will be conducted on all candidates selected for interviews.
The employee holding this position is subject to an initial nine-month probationary period. All performance evaluations during and after this probationary period are conducted by the director.
1. Masters degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited graduate school.
2. Five years successful professional public library experience, with at least two years in a supervisory position.
3. Effective oral and written communication skills.
4. Demonstrated commitment to customer service, community involvement, networking, resource sharing, staff development and in-service training.
5. Knowledge of current technologies available to library staff and patrons.
6. Knowledge of integrated library systems and recent experience using them.
7. Active membership in one or more library-related professional organizations.
8. The person holding this position must have the ability to bend, stoop, push, pull, squat, crouch, reach above shoulder level, and lift and move objects up to 25 pounds.
9. Valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
3. In-depth knowledge of current library technologies and integrated library systems.
4. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors and co-workers, library users, Jackson George Regional Library System Board of Trustees, local governmental officials, members of Friends’ groups, Genealogy and Local History Department Manager, local history organizations, civic leaders, educational institutions, and the general public.
5. Ability to analyze needs and problems and to create and communicate effective and cost-effective solutions.
6. Ability to make sound decisions based on approved policies and procedures, personal judgement, and verifiable data.
7. Effective listening, problem solving, conflict management, and other interpersonal skills.
8. Ability to manage time well and train others to work effectively and efficiently.
9. Commitment to maintain confidentiality of customers’ library records and activities.
10. Effective oral and written communication skills, including public speaking skills.
11. Ability to work under pressure and maintain professional attitude and demeanor under adverse conditions and challenging circumstances.
12. Ability to serve continuously as a role model for staff, as well as colleagues and coworkers throughout the system.
The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment.
TO APPLY: Must meet minimum qualifications to apply. Submit a formal letter of interest and your resume to Angela Stewart, Director, at Director@jgrls.org or USPS to Jackson-George Regional Library System; 3214 Pascagoula Street, Pascagoula, MS 39567. The letter should state why you want the position and your career goals and objectives.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The employee holding any position must (1) meet employment eligibility requirements as set forth in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 and the implementing regulations; (2) read, understand, and sign the System’s Personnel Policies; (3) read, understand and sign the System’s Drug Free Work-Place Policy and Employee Memorandum; (4) read, understand, and sign other Library policy/procedure statements pertinent to this position.
-Library Employment Guidelines:
Most jobs follow these general guidelines: Under the direction and supervision of the Branch Manager and or his/her designee, employees holding part-time hourly positions assist other library personnel in completing certain tasks necessary for the efficient and effective access to and use of the library's collections of resources and services.
Work is performed in accordance with Regional Library Board of Trustees' approved policies and procedures and other directives as issued by the Branch Manager and Director.
Employees holding these positions will, through open and continuous channels of communication, complete all job duties and responsibilities accurately and in a timely manner. All employees are expected to possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to complete all assigned duties and responsibilities.
All candidates for open positions must complete:
(1) Application for Employment
(2) Supplemental Application
(3) Various testing - depending on position sought