Monday, September 28, 2020 – Monday, October 5, 2020
Position: Library Page
Location: Gautier Public Library
Available: OCTOBER 15, 2020
Location: Ocean Springs Municipal Library – OR
Location: Moss Point Library
-- Application (Adobe PDF)
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: IF YOU DO NOT MEET ALL OF THESE QUALIFICATIONS, PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THE POSITION.
1. High School Diploma or GED and 18 years of age.
2. Must have dependable transportation to and from work.
3. Must be able to work mornings, evenings, and weekends (Saturday) as scheduled and work up to 16 hours per week.
4. Must have good communications skills, both orally and written.
5. Must have good computer skills, and have the ability to learn new computer applications.
6. Must be able to push carts filled with books, lift boxes of books, bend and stretch to reach high and low shelves while holding books and other physical tasks as needed.
7. Must be able to stand on your feet for long periods of time to serve patrons, shelve materials, etc.
1. Prefer candidates that have a JGRLS library card.
2. Prefer candidates with previous work experience involving providing goods or services to the public.
Wages: Minimum Wage: $7.25/hour
WORK HOURS: Up to 16 hour/week; including evenings and weekends.
DUTIES: In conjunction with other library personnel, shelving of materials, mending materials, prepare new items for circulation, staff public service desk; answer phones; assist Library Manager in day-to-day operations as required.
TO APPLY: Applications can be picked up beginning Monday, September 28, at the Kathleen McIIwain Public Library of Gautier, 2100 Library Lane, Gautier, MS 39553 or downloaded online at http://www.jgrls.org/services/employment.html
DEADLINE: All applications must be completed and submitted to the Kathleen McIIwain Public Library of Gautier or any Jackson George Regional Library Branch by 3:50 p.m. Monday, October 5, 2020. Mandatory skill & knowledge tests will be given by appointment at the Pascagoula Public Library.
September 18, 2020 – September 30, 2020
Position: Custodian I -- Application (Adobe PDF)
Location: St. Martin & Vancleave Public Libraries
Salary: $20,283.05 with benefits including health insurance.
Hours: Five 8:30-5 Shifts (Monday-Friday). Normal work schedule may include day, evening and Saturday shifts. 37.5 hour work week.
Available: October 1, 2020
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have dependable transportation to and from work.
- Two years paid full-time custodial work experience.
- Knowledge of basic cleaning and maintenance supplies, equipment and techniques.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy furniture, equipment, moveable walls, etc.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Eligible for coverage under the Library’s vehicle liability/uninsured motorist insurance policy.
Duties: Clean entire facility including areas used by staff, storage areas and meeting rooms. Tasks include sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, waxing & buffing floors, dusting furniture, changing light bulbs; maintaining the exterior of the building and parking areas & basic grounds maintenance, i.e., removing litter, sweeping sidewalks, etc. Monitor environmental controls. Assist with meeting room setup.
Deadline: This position is open until 4:00 pm, September 8, 2020.
Mandatory knowledge tests will be given by appointment at the Pascagoula Public Library.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position: Assistant Director for Branch Services and Human Resources
Application (Adobe PDF)
Location: Jackson-George Regional Library System Headquarters
Pascagoula Public Library - Pascagoula, Mississippi
Available: October 2, 2020
- Masters in Library Science.
- Three to five years paid professional work experience in a public library, including significant management and personnel experience, as well as policy writing and implementation.
- Ability to effectively interface Library executive, professional, administrative and other Library employees and Library trustees.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of library records, personnel records, and library business.
- Must possess high level of organizational and planning skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office or other comparable software.
- Must possess a willingness to stay current with trends and changes in library services and programming.
- Must be progressive in the implementation of public library programming and services.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
- Must be willing and able to maintain base of knowledge, currency and accuracy in the application of employment practices and employment law.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Starting salary - $55,000-$60,000 with benefits including low cost health insurance.
WORK HOURS: Typically 37.5 hours per week; may require evenings, weekends, and longer hours occasionally.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures applicable to professional public librarianship and skills needed in applying this knowledge to the workplace.
2. Knowledge, skills and abilities to thoroughly understand and accurately apply the JGRLS personnel policies.
3. Knowledge of employment and other related laws.
4. Work with managers and supervisors in following personnel policies and procedures.
5. Skills needed to maintain accurate and accessible office files.
6. Knowledge of, and ability to use Microsoft Office, Excel or other comparable software.
7. Ability to successfully navigate and use the Internet.
8. Ability to learn and use automated library system.
9. Ability to assume responsibility for the initiation and completion of job tasks without direct day-to-day supervision.
10. Effective communication skills, including oral, written and telephone skills.
11. Ability to maintain confidentiality of library records, personnel records and library business.
12. Ability to effectively interface with the Director, administrative and professional personnel, other Library employees and Library trustees.
13. Ability to provide courteous, friendly and energetic service at all times.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Personnel Duties
- Coordinate the announcements of job available and ad in newspapers, websites, etc. with assistance of the Administrative Assistant.
- Review applications and weed out those that do not meet minimum qualifications, note errors and mistakes or other problems with assistance of the Administrative Assistant.
- Compile and send letters to all applicants letting them know their status with assistance of the Administrative Assistant.
- Coordinate testing of eligible applicants with assistance of Staff Development and Training Coordinator.
- Set up interviews and work with Director to select interview team.
- Compile results interviews and previous steps in the hiring process and communicate with Director the top applicants for hiring approval.
- Once selections are made compile eligible hiring pool to be approved by the JGRLS Board.
- Communicate with the Director on the lead applicant for hiring approval.
- Establish start date and set up orientation schedule for new employees by coordinating with JGRLS staff involved and supervisor at site and Staff Development and Training Coordinator.
- Administrative Tasks required for new hires, i.e., insurance, federal mandates, drug screening etc.
- Submit list of new hires to State New Hire Directory within 15 days of hire.
- Submit Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) within 3 days of hire.
- Develop and administer orientation training for each new staff member, coordinator along with Staff Development and Training Coordinator.
b. Personnel Files
- Establish official personnel folders on each new staff member.
- Enter all updates to file including annual performance reviews, any reprimands and special awards or commendations.
- Enter revisions/deletions/additions to the personnel information on OMEGA (on-line personnel file).
- Maintain the integrity and confidentiality of these files and grant access only to those with authority to review.
- Transfer old personnel files to storage, and retrieve, as necessary.
c. Payroll Manager
- Maintain and monitor time and attendance software.
- Comply with rules regarding Family Medical Leave (FMLA). Send notices and track FMLA leave as needed.
- Input part-time employees’ time cards into Accufund monthly, keep Business Manager informed of any payroll changes.
- Receive and balance bank statements, including clearing checks and deposits that have been processed at bank.
- Assist auditors as needed in annual audit.
- Alert Director and/or other supervisors to unusual circumstances such as leave requests beyond available balance, mistakes, need for approval of leave, etc.
- Train supervisors and managers in administrative used of time and attendance software.
- JGRLS contact with software vendor regarding updates, issues, and questions.
- Assists Business Manager in preparation of payroll notices for distribution and add inserts as requested by Director.
- Alert Business Manager to any changes in payroll.
- Once committee has made decisions on recipients, oversee implementation of merit pay system.
d. Assigning Assignments
- Maintain adequate staff at branches through management of staff assigned as floater status.
- Work with supervisors/managers to borrow other staff as needed for optimum distribution of staff throughout system on a daily basis.
e. Personnel Administration
- Attend training sessions and workshops to remain current on personnel laws and accepted principles.
- Work closely with Director and JGRLS Board Attorney in determining need for updates, inclusions, and deletions in personnel policies and procedures in a timely manner
- Generate and maintain all records related to the Family Medical Leave Act, I9s, and other laws related to personnel administration.
f. Job Descriptions, Staff Evaluations, Organizational Charts
- Responsible for revisions to job descriptions and distribute to staff members as well as maintain current copy for official personnel file
- Serve as chair of Performance Evaluation Committee, review evaluation instruments and revise as needed
- Collect copies of all official performance reviews and maintain in official personnel file.
- Create and distribute JGRLS organizational charts as needed.
- Make monthly personnel reports to the Library Director.
- Compile and report to the Library Director quantity statistics for all eight branches
- Compile and report to the Library Director the annual MLC report and the in-house Year-End report.
- Schedule and administer annual open enrollment program for existing staff.
- Assist the Director with administrative day-to-day library operations in the system as needed.
- Service as Acting Branch Manager as needed
- Work with managers in providing proper coaching and advising as needed in dealing with various personnel issues and problems as they arise.
- Submits recommendations and/or drafts for new policies, services, and procedures to the Director.
- May write, review, or edit policies as needed.
- Required to travel to branch libraries in the system on a regular basis.
- Check suggestion boxes in branch libraries on a regular basis.
- Attend relevant conferences, meetings, training sessions, and other professional events as required.
- Maintain membership in professional organizations and attend regional conferences regularly.
- May serve as Acting Director in the absence of the Director.
2. Branch Development
- With Director’s approval, develop and implement a sound plan of customer service throughout all eight branches of the library system.
- Work with Staff Development and Training Coordinator to create and implement an employee training process that ensures quality customer service skills.
- Evaluate, on an ongoing basis, customer service in all branches and in each area of service.
- Identify areas of weakness regarding customer service and work with Branch Managers, Library Director and or Assistant Director to recommend needed training, changes, or corrections.
- Coordinate avenues of public input to evaluate services at all branches, including but not limited to customer comment boxes and user surveys.
- Assist branch managers and personnel with program planning and implementation.
- Chair and participate in appropriate committees as assigned.
3. Additional Duties
a. Financial Responsibilities (other than payroll)
- Responsible for reconciling bank statements (2) every month
- Cross trained and qualified to back-up duties/responsibilities for Business Manager, Purchasing Agent and provide receptionists if staff is absent. Play a major role in training any new staff in these positions as personnel changes occur.
- Cross trained and qualified to provide assistance, back-up as needed, and input to Administrative Assistant in regard to monthly statistics (branch/system wide) and other statistical information as necessary.
- Serve on several committees and teams during the year, i.e., Tech Team, Volunteer Reception, Personnel Committee (chair) and ALPHA committee (chair)
- On Team A when it comes to any need for emergency response by library system, along with Director, Assistant Director, Technology Manager and Purchasing Agent
- Enter all new official forms, policies, procedures developed by JGRLS, including those approved by the JGRLS Board, on our master online authority file for and serve as chair of the authority file committee when required
- “Go to person” for Director for information needed from and/or sent out to any staff or system-wide in her absence with other Assistant Director.
- Perform other duties as requested by Director
Primary work site for this Regional Library System position is the JGRLS Headquarters facility located at 3214 Pascagoula St. in Pascagoula, MS.
This position is a full-time, 37.5 hour per week, salaried position. Normal work schedule is 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. (with 60-minute lunch period) Monday through Friday. The employee’s work schedule may vary from time-to-time contingent on the needs of the Director and the Library System.
Employee is eligible for 100% Board approved employee benefits.
The position of Librarian IV Assistant Director for Branch Development and Human Resources is classified as “exempt” under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards as defined by Regulations, 29 CFR Part 541.
The employee holding this position must (1) meet employment eligibility requirements as set forth in the Immigration Reform and Control act of 1986 and the implementing regulations, (2) read, understand and sign the System’s personnel policies, (3) read, understand and sign the System’s drug free work-place policy and (4) read, understand and sign other system policy and procedure statements pertinent to this position.
Candidates meeting the MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS must submit a formal letter of application and current resume to Lori Barnes, Director, by email email@example.com or mailed to 3214 Pascagoula Street, Pascagoula, MS 39567. The letter should state why you want the position and what your career goals and objectives are.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Open Until Filled
-Library Employment Guidelines:
Most jobs follow these general guidelines: Under the direction and supervision of the Branch Manager and or his/her designee, employees holding part-time hourly positions assist other library personnel in completing certain tasks necessary for the efficient and effective access to and use of the library's collections of resources and services.
Work is performed in accordance with Regional Library Board of Trustees' approved policies and procedures and other directives as issued by the Branch Manager and Director.
Employees holding these positions will, through open and continuous channels of communication, complete all job duties and responsibilities accurately and in a timely manner. All employees are expected to possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to complete all assigned duties and responsibilities.
All candidates for open positions must complete:
(1) Application for Employment
(2) Supplemental Application
(3) Various testing - depending on position sought